200. Larsen’s Beach – Kilauea, Kauai

Larsen’s Beach is located in a secluded area on Kauai’s northeastern shore. There is no road that leads all the way to the beach, and the one that leads near it is a dirt road. It is also quite a steep mile hike down to the beach on an overgrown Kaua’i red earth path. If it has been raining (and it does a lot on the North Shore) then expect slippery sections and some trail […]

199. Na Pali Coast Helicopter Tour – Kauai, Hawaii

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and definitely the most memorable hour of our entire trip. Only 10% of Kauai is viewable by car so we decided what better way to see the other 90% than by air. After much research, we chose Jack Harter Helicopter Tours http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/tour.html for their safety record and great reviews on both Yelp and TripAdvisor. And, although priced higher than their competitors, they were the only helicopter company […]

198. Hanalei Bay – Hanalei, Kauai

We loved this beach and town so much that we actually came twice. The first time was on our way back from Ke’e Beach to watch the sunset from the famous pier that juts out into the bay. I had seen so many pictures on Pinterest and travel sites that I just had to get some myself. The pier sunset and flame throwing entertainment didn’t disappoint but we also fell in love with the beach […]

197. Kilauea Point Lighthouse – Kilauea, Kauai

Kilauea Lighthouse is situated on the northernmost point of the main Hawaiian Islands. Built in 1913, it had the largest lens of its kind and guided ships heading to and from the Orient. In the 1970’s its light was turned off and was replaced by a low-maintenance light beacon. The lighthouse is located on a narrow peninsula and attracts thousands of tourists who come to view the dramatic sweeping cliff and ocean vistas and the […]

196. Ke’e Beach – Ha’ena State Park, Kauai

Ke’e Beach is on the North shore of Kauai and about as far as you can go via car on Highway 56– literally the end of the road. It took us about an hour to get there from Poipu and by the time we arrived, parking was very limited. We actually ended up parking on the side of the road about ½ mile from the actual beach and schlepping all of our stuff down there. […]

195. The St. Regis Princeville Resort – Princeville, Kauai

One of the most interesting and my favorite thing we learned about Kauai is that no beach is private or can be privately owned. We were given this great tidbit of advice by our photography tour guide who also told us that there is no better way to spend a day feeling like the rich and famous (without spending the exorbitant price tag of $800-$1000 a night) than to spend it at the St. Regis […]

194. Polihale State Park – Waimea, Kauai

As far as beaches go, it doesn’t get much better than this sandy stretch of heaven on earth —- IF you can manage the drive there. The beach parking and camping areas are only accessible via a 5 mile poorly marked, dirt/sand sugarcane road riddled with potholes that could easily swallow up a small car. A four wheel drive vehicle is recommended however we got there fine in our rental car (sshhhh…don’t tell Alamo) by […]

193. Waimea Canyon – Kauai, Hawaii

Waimea Canyon, also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, is a large canyon located on the western side of the island.  While not as large as the Grand Canyon, it is quite big at approximately ten miles long and up to 3,000 feet deep boasting spectacular waterfalls, jawdropping coastline, and lush forest. It’s no wonder so many movies have been filmed here. Waimea is Hawaiian for “reddish water”, a reference to the erosion […]